Monday, February 24, 2014

Strippy Sixties

When it was time to put away my scrap fabrics last Friday, I just had to sort them by color first. (Sorry, I forgot to take a pic of the pretty piles on the floor.) Once that was done, I was itching to use them, instead of just packing them up. I've been wanting to play with 60 degree triangles, so I started making these string pieced babies.


I think I've shown you this 9" roll of masking paper before. I found it in the hardware store, and it is nice and thin for foundation piecing (tears off easily). I cut the paper into triangles with my handy ruler. I had to add a horizontal line to my ruler to mark the bottom edge of the paper. When I'm done with this project, I can easily remove that line with some rubbing alcohol. 


Next, I take the paper over to the machine and pull some strips from the pile.
 

Sew together the first two strips, using a small stitch length.


Flip it open and press. It helps to have your iron within reach of your sewing machine.


Repeat with the remaining strips until the paper is covered and you have something that looks like a birthday cake.


Trim into a neat triangle. (I gave myself permission to throw away the bits that get cut off!)
 

Add it to the design board.
 

When I have more triangles pieced, I'll decide on a layout. I'm not sure if I'll add some white to break up the colors.

8 comments:

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Love your stripy triangles.

Gina said...

these are so fun!!

Rike Busch said...

What a nice idea to use the scraps! :)

Cathy said...

Fun!!

Terry@ a quilting blog said...

These are so pretty and I love the idea of using the masking paper…thanks for sharing :)

Rainy said...

These are beautiful! I think that this will be my next quilt! Working on my first ever quilt now, but I'm at a standstill because I ran out of white!

margaret said...

this just shows what lovely things can be made from scraps

Lin's Quilts said...

Those triangles are so cool!
linsquilts.blogspot.com