Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Be Mine

 This big heart wall hanging was my project for the 2nd Annual Super Bowl Sunday Craft-a-thon, hosted by a friend of mine on Facebook. It looks great in the snow, but I'm really getting tired of shoveling!


Photos of Dear Stella's Big Love were popping up all over in the past few days. The pattern was designed by Nicole from Modern Handcraft. I pulled my favorite reds and pinks from my stash and found a package of Big Thangles on my cutting table. Sweet! 
 

The tutorial calls for 10" squares and makes a large lap quilt. I wanted a wall hanging, so 4.5" HST units were just right. Thangles are the best invention for quilters since the rotary cutter!


I added an extra row on the right side and bottom to push the heart off-center. I finished the top shortly before the game ended, just in time to watch Sherlock!
 

I got started layering and quilting on Monday. I had some issues with puckering with this concentric heart design. It's fine for what it is- a fun Valentine decoration for my home.
 

I found a sweet red on white calico for the back and used a tiny red dot for binding.
 

Be Mine
31" X 36"
Started 2/2/14
Completed 2/3/14

7 comments:

Carole Ann said...

Love, love, love, Tina! It came out beautiful. I like that you off-centered the heart. Can't wait to see it in person!

Gina said...

great idea to off centre the heart. Great quilt and I love the quilting
xxx

Jodi said...

It looks fabulous, Tina! I love your quilting, especially inside the heart! I don't think I'm that brave! xo

Cathy said...

Great use of time during such a boring super bowl game! And I agree that I like the off-center heart.

On another note - how's Pete?

Barbara said...

It came out great! Thanks for playing along.

Susan at TheBoredZombie.com said...

I love this quilt! I'm so overloaded on projects I can't try it myself, but I've enjoyed seeing it around!

Kate said...

Love the fact that the heart is not centered. Great job!