Friday, February 14, 2014

A Friday Finish for My Valentine

I've added two new pillows to the collection on my bed.


For Valentine's Day, I thought it would be nice to finish Bill's Bee pillow. He joked about being miffed that I wanted to hang my T is for Tina quilt above our bed, so I started B(ee) is for Bill. We're goofy that way.


The paper piecing pattern is from Amy at Badskirt. When I pieced the block back in November I put the squaring up triangles on the wrong sides. I did not intend for the bee to stand up straight! So out came the seam ripper.

horrible cell phone photo

Then I started quilting and that was another fail. I tried a new fill and it looked horrible. Rip again!


Bill's little bee sat and waited a couple of months until I found him again this week. I pulled out another variegated thread that matched the greens and blues perfectly.


I quilted some Angela Walters triangle fills and my trusty loopy swirl.


While I was making and stuffing pillow forms, I finished the Clamshell pillow, too. I die cut the shapes at Karen's house two weeks ago. The rows are machine pieced but the top edge is hand appliqued to the aqua background. My Facebook and instagram friends chose the background color.


This one was hand quilted with a creamy Aurifil Mako 100% Cotton 12 weight thread. This was my first time using the 12 weight and I loved it! This pillow was inspired by Amanda's Riley Blake challenge entry.


The Pebbled Sea Glass pillow is still my favorite. Isn't my little Devil Dog cute? The bull dog is a Marine Corps mascot. I picked him up in Parris Island when we went to Pete's graduation. Pete is doing well with his training at Camp Pendleton. We get to talk to him on the weekends and he sounds great!


B(ee) is for Bill 12" pillow, started 11/7/13, completed 2/13/14
Clamshell 16" pillow, started 1/31/14, completed 2/131/4

6 comments:

Cathy said...

Sometimes a project needs a time-out! The colors are some of my favorites.

Thanks for the update on Pete!

Gina said...

what a great collection of pillows!! i love the story behind the B{ee} is for Bill cushion but i think the clamshell is my favorite! love the hand quilting and the colors!!

Terri said...

A nicely coordinated collection... each is different, but some of the same colors. I like it.
Happy Valentines Day!
Hugs

sonia said...

Really like all your pillows! The bee looks amazing!

margaret said...

your bed looks very pretty with the pillows. Like you I have some on my bed, 6 but hardanger not quilting. Must look out for the aurifil 12 as I like to hand quilt and like a thread a bit thicker than the ordinary hand quilting cotton

Allison said...

your pillows look lovely grouped together :)