Friday, March 29, 2013

Friday Finish- Mini for Ninnie

 I started this little quilt last May and finally quilted it up. I will be donating it to the Ninigret Quilters' silent auction at our show in October. We affectionately refer to each other as Ninnies, hence the blog post title!


Here are the signature blocks that produced the bonus triangles that became these stars. I don't always save those triangles, but I know I should.


The butterfly print on the back was a "prize" from the Fall round of the UFO group on Threadbias. Isn't it lovely? I folded 5" squares into triangles to act as corner pockets to hold a dowel to hang it any which way. The mustard color squares came from a charm swap stack.


 I quilted it with a peachy So Fine thread from Superior that blends with everything. I used a walking foot for the straight lines through the white and the gentle curves through the stars. No marking required - my favorite kind of quilting!


I'm not sure how I feel about the gray binding, but it is done, so that's that. The gray print came out of my fat quarter (or less) pile, too.

Mini Friendship Stars
13" X 18"
Started: May 2012
Finished: March 27, 2013

Not bad for a pile of leftovers!

10 comments:

Ann @thequiltingcats said...

It's so bright and cheerful! I'm trying to.figure out how you got the stars from those blocks?

Susan said...

What a very clever use of your leftover HSTs. It did take some figuring out!

Angie in SoCal said...

What a lovely mini! Thanks for sharing.

Pokey said...

I love your precious mini star quilt! It is laid out in a different way than I've seen before, and I want to try it, imitation being the best form of flattery, right? Would you believe I just finished around 40 blocks of of the "Low Volume, Bright Hopes" style...You are very inspiring!!
:-}pokey

Ginny said...

This is such a happy little mini! So cute, love that you included the dowel pockets on the back.

Chris said...

The gray binding is perfect!

Anonymous said...

Lovely little quilt. A fantastic way of using up leftovers. Well done.

Julianne said...

Bright & Fun! Love it!

Gemini Jen NZ said...

Very very cute! What a lovely job you have done!

Jennifer Mathis of Ellison Lane said...

So bright and cheery!