Sunday, March 31, 2013

Easter Arrowheads

 Weird title, I know.  These pink Anita's Arrowhead blocks are the closest I can get to a Springy pic today. I think this will become a table runner someday soon.


Let me back up a little. In August 2010, I bought Anita Grossman Solomon's book Rotary Cutting Revolution. I'll say it again. I think she is a quilting genius! Back in 2010, I made my first pancake (Anita's term for the first block that doesn't always come out right, like the first pancake). It was good, but I wasn't excited about making more. I did get excited about playing with stripes and made this. I've been collecting striped fabric ever since.


Fast forward to 2013. I signed up for Anita's Craftsy class called Traditional Blocks Made Simple. I watched all the lessons, and picked up amazing tips along the way. Finally on Friday, I raided my batik stash and started cutting.

In no time at all, I had 4 blocks done!


 More cutting and stitching while watching basketball and I had 12 blocks done by half time of the Florida game. (Go Gators! Senior Erik Murphy lives around the corner from me. His mom came over to pick up some Girl Scout cookies before her last trip to Florida. I look like a Hobbit next to that family. I'm 4'11" and their 3 boys are between 6'8" and 6'11"!)


Saturday morning, I headed back to the batik stash for more. By noon I had the 3 pink blocks done and 10 more blocks started. I'm having so much fun with these blocks! Can you tell?

I think I'll keep going, pulling pairs of batiks from the stash, cutting and sewing until I have enough blocks for a man-sized lap quilt. A friend's husband had a brain tumor removed last week, and we've been praying for his full recovery. He is improving, but has a long road ahead. I hope to have this quilt ready for him when he moves to the rehab facility.
 

I wish you all a blessed Easter!

2 comments:

WoolenSails said...

Easter Blessings for you and your family.

Debbie

Ann @thequiltingcats said...

Oh they are lovely! I've not seen that book, but ran upon the arrowhead block last summer and made up a bunch. I still have a bunch of squares sewn and just need to cut them apart and sew up the block. Its on my list to complete this year. Interestingly enough... they are batiks, too. Happy Easter!