Sunday, October 26, 2014

Safari Baby Quilt

 In honor of Julia being on expedition to the Serengeti, the safari baby quilt has been completed.

In this post from a couple of weeks ago, I described the panels and how they were sashed and pieced together. I used another panel and coordinating prints on the back.

For the quilting, I decided to mimic the shape of the flag garlands in the border print.  I marked a 2.5" square grid across the entire quilt top to guide the swoops. You can clearly see that the quilting was done by hand (on my Bernina) and not computer driven. Imperfections are good, right?

I had the hardest time cleaning off the chalk I used to mark the grid. I used everything imaginable, and I can still see some lines on the pink border print. The quilt is so crinkly because it has been washed at least 4 times already!

I had fun with the zebra stripes in the sashing and binding.
That lion is just the cutest! 

Baby Safari
42" square
Started 9/30/14
Completed 10/23/14  

OK, maybe this lion is the cutest!


Rike Busch said...

Dear Tina,
again a lovely baby quilt. And wgich baby will recognize if the quilting is made by computer or hand. ;-) I love the irregular look of the quilting. So everyone knows that it is made by hand and wizh passion. :-)
Greetings, Rike

margaret said...

loved this from the first time I saw it wonderful, have searched for the panels on line but no luck so far