Thursday, October 23, 2014

A is for Alphabet

 I finished a very old WIP last night. It is so satisfying to move this to the completed list! I must have started this alphabet quilt at least 12 years ago. I know I bought the daisy print in 1999 or 2000 when Julia was a Girl Scout Daisy. 


I remember making the letter templates on my computer, either in Word or Powerpoint. I can't find the file, so I'm not sure which font I used. I had a big collection of novelty prints at the time, so most of this fabric came out of my stash. The print for each letter represents that letter. A is for alphabet, B is for balls, C is for crayons, etc.


The letters were hand appliqued over the years at ball games and whenever I had a few minutes to spare. The applique was finished and the top was assembled in August 2013. Last week, I added the border and pieced the back from some Dr. Seuss prints. The blue binding is from the same Dr. Seuss collection.


I quilted around each letter, then added swirls in the background.


I like the way you can see the letters on the back.
 

A is for Alphabet
34" X 46"
Started c. 2000
Completed October 22, 2014
Original design

6 comments:

margaret said...

you must have been so pleased to have finished this now and at a time when alphabet quilts seem to be back in fashion, I have seen quite a few recently very nice indeed

Angie Burrett said...

This is so lovely with lots of memories sewn in to it! - well done finishing!

Terri said...

A+. Love the quilt and that it is finished. Good Job.
Hugs

LynneP said...

What a FUN, cheerful, lovely quilt! So happy for you that it is finished.

Sarah said...

I think I have some UFOs that old too. Who are you going to give the quilt to?

Unknown said...

The quilt is wonderful! It brings back memories of my grandmother who made me several quilts one being the schoolhouse in red and white because I was a 2nd grd.teacher.I use all of my quilts,made with love from my Gram.