Saturday, October 4, 2014

It's Magenta, Don!

Friday has really been Finish it up Friday around here. This is the second finished quilt in 2 weeks. (No, I haven't shown you the finished Monkey Wrench yet.)


Magenta was started in April 2013 as a RIMQG challenge. We were each given a crayon as a starting point and I got magenta. When I worked in my cousin's photo lab in high school, we had a customer who always complained that his prints were too magenta. We heard "It's magenta, Don" every week.


I started with a yard of dahlia print from my stash- the only thing that matched my crayon color- and went from there. The only fabrics I needed to buy were the border and backing.

As I searched for a pattern to showcase the large print, Camille gave a sneak peak of her Sweet Life quilt from Simply Retro. I couldn't wait for the book to arrive, so I drafted my own block. My blocks are smaller than Camille's to suit the amount of fabric I had.


I thought about doing some custom quilting on this, but I just couldn't decide what to do in those large octagons. So I went with my go-to free motion loops. I was totally in the zone and finished the quilting in just a few hours. 

I wasn't sure about the dark brown binding, but I didn't want to spend any more money on this piece. I had just enough brown thread to hand stitch the binding. Don't you love the grapes on the back?


 It's Magenta, Don!
53" X 66"
Started April 2013
Finished October 2014
Inspired by Camille Roskelley's Simple Life

8 comments:

Terri said...

Love your quilt. So interesting the way it came together. Everybody works in different ways... that's why blogging is so much fun.
Hugs

Dora, the quilter said...

I love the choices you made for this quilt--and especially love the way the pairs of borders vary--wait! especially love the showcased fabrics. Okay, there's just so much too love about this quilt! Congratulations on a gorgeous finish!

Regina Marie said...

FABULOUS!!! Love the way it came together!!

Rike Busch said...

Hej Tina,
A wonderful quilt! Really beautiful.
I've seen a Farmers Wife Quilt a week ago and had to think of you. ;-) What a huge quilt!
Greetings, Rike

Janet Ann said...

Absolutely Beautiful! Congrat's on another finish!

Helen@Till We Quilt Again said...

The magenta fabric is beautiful and the brown is the perfect finishing touch. I am not sure I would have been able to use the grapes for the backing--I like them that much!!!

margaret said...

what a great finish, the fabrics all work so well together

Buy Crafts said...

Your choice of colors went well together, I just love the color combination and how beautiful the quilt turn out to be.