Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Black and White and ...

 A couple of months ago, the RIMQG issued a challenge. We were to use black and white and one additional color of our choice. Hmm. What color will Tina add? That's a tough one!


I wanted to keep it simple with a disappearing nine patch. I drew it out in EQ7 which was a great help in deciding how to use various oranges. The only thing that ended up being very different from the drawing is the binding.


I played with some extra squares for the back, and used up some more of that DS Quilts orange print.


I wanted to do something fun and interesting with the quilting. Plan A included some pebbling and matchstick quilting in the oranges. I hated it! I had gone through two full bobbins when I decided to rip it all out.


It took hours to unstitch, but it was totally worth it.


I'm much happier with Plan B. The only problem that remains is a hint of the gray chalk that I used again on the medium orange. I marked a grid to guide the petals and it just won't wash out completely. I will never use that chalk again!


 In this shot of the back, you can see the orange stripe binding. I will run out of orange fabric and move on to something else, but it won't happen any time soon.


My little quilt is currently hanging in the kitchen, adding a little Halloween cheer.


Black and White and Orange All Over
October 16-18, 2014
37" square

5 comments:

rsb said...

Very nice! Love the orange.

Ruth said...

Stunning! What's the chalk that you won't use again? This way I won't buy it.

Unknown said...

I love love the orange! The quilt pattern is wonderful. Great quilt!

Helen@Till We Quilt Again said...

Great Quilt! Also like how you posted your process-always fun to see!

margaret said...

the orange really makes this sing love the disappearing nine patch it makes a wonderful quilt and the quilting too glad I did not have to unpick that but as you say was well worth it as the quilting looks great now