Wednesday, January 13, 2016

interface

My first new project finish for 2016 is interface. When we quilters think of that word, fusible interfacing comes to mind. This is a much different interface.


My husband has worked in a Navy lab for 25 years and has become an expert in the air-water interface. It is his job to find or develop new technologies to help submarines communicate through that interface- no small task!


On our way home from the Gathering and a wonderful exhibit of the Seacoast Modern Quilt Guild, I asked Bill how we could represent his work in a minimalist quilt design. This is what we came up with. The blue is the water, gray sky, a sliver of red represents the interface. The yellow thing could be a UUV or a buoy.

The quilting tells the story of a signal coming from a submarine and being relayed by the UUV. Bill assured me that when this quilt is hanging in his office his colleagues will immediately recognize its significance. For us quilters, I hope it is just a cool design.


It was quick to piece, with just two seams. Granted, it is not easy to piece an accurate 1/8" seam, and this one is not perfectly perfect. It looks good from a distance, though. The yellow UUV is appliqued.


I quilted along the red first, then started the echo quilting from the red line each time. That was a lot of tails to bury, but I think the effect was worth the effort.


Bill purchased the print on the back many years ago on one of his working trips to Hawaii.


Even though we designed this quilt in November, I didn't start stitching until a few days before the RI Modern Quilt Guild solids challenge deadline. You know how much I love a deadline! I brought it for show and tell to Ninigret last night, too. Thanks to Catherine for holding and Pat for taking the picture.

interface
24" X 36"
Designed 11/8/15
Pieced & appliqued 1/6/16
Quilted 1/7-8/16
Bound 1/8/16
Kona solids: silver, navy, tomato, grillow and black
Aurifil 50 wt: 2600 Dove and 2784 Dark Navy

5 comments:

WoolenSails said...

That is a beautiful design and my husband works on the electronic systems at EB, so I know he would appreciate that too.

Debbie

Sandi said...

Lovely design, bit I think you meant designed 11/8/15 not 11/8/16, unless you are also involved with time travel!

Sue SA said...

I am so impressed your husband wanted to design a quilt to hang in his office, that represented his work. It looks amazing.

Debbie said...

This is SO cool and I appreciate its story!

margaret said...

how good to have designed a pattern to tie in with your husband`s career.