Saturday, January 16, 2016

Christmas 2015

 It's a little late to be blogging about Christmas, but I just finished my new Christmas quilt. I had hoped to finish it in time to cuddle up under on Christmas Eve, but it wasn't meant to be.


I used 2 charm packs of Flurry by Kate Spain plus about 1.5 yds of Kona white cut into 5" squares. I also bought some yardage for borders and binding. The pattern is Jewel Toss from the Moda Bake Shop, but I modified the construction quite a bit. I cut up the white on 12/22 and pieced the whole top on 12/23. I made 4-patches from one charm pack and half-square triangle units from the other pack.
 

I finally had a chance to get it basted and quilted yesterday. The backing is another Kate Spain print from her Jingle line. Funny story about the quilting. I forgot to drop the feed dogs before I started the free motion quilting. I didn't realize it until I was ready to attach the binding and went to set the machine back to normal. oops! Turns out it didn't make much difference.


I used Superior So Fine! 50 weight #401 for the quilting. Gladly, I didn't have any trouble with thread breakage. Last winter, I was having trouble with that thread. We thought maybe it was the dry air, but maybe I was using the wrong needle. For whatever reason, the stars aligned, and all went well.


It was such a joy piecing and quilting this beautiful fabric.


Christmas 2015
started 12/22/15
completed 1/16/16
51" X 75"

4 comments:

barbara woods bewtjw@gmail.com said...

love it! love Christmas fabric could make Christmas quilts all year

WoolenSails said...

Beautiful quilt and never too late to make a christmas quilt or maybe early, for next year;)
I picked up my table quilter today, so now i need to move things around and set it up so I can start practicing.

Debbie

Pam said...

Gorgeous quilt, Flurry is my all time favourite line from Kate, alas I do not even have crumbs left now. I did stock up on Jingle at last years Festival of Quilts though.

Ariane said...

This is a beautiful quilt! Love it!!!