Sunday, February 1, 2015

Drowning in Scraps

 So... 
I might have a scrappy little problem. I'm obsessed with scraps!

This is what my dining room looked like yesterday as I cut out the last 21 Farmer's Wife blocks. I was using mostly modern scraps and Kona white. Anything smaller than a fat quarter was up for grabs, which means every bin and box and pile came out to play. Once I finished cutting out the blocks, I kept cutting! All the smaller pieces were cut into useful sizes: 5", 3.5", 2.5" and 2" squares, and 2.5" and 2" strips. I feel so much better now!


When I brought all the bins back downstairs, I came across my selvedge basket. I hopped over to my Pinterest scrap quilts board and found this awesome pattern by Karen Griska. It took me a couple of hours to sew these two blocks last night. I love them! I have some Kona Tomato coming from Fabric.com tomorrow, so I can continue this new project. It will be my entry in the RIMQG Log Cabin Challenge.


Then there is Wild & Goosey. I follow the Quiltville Open Studio page on facebook and it seems like everyone is working on these blocks. I'm going to make mine with batiks. I feel the need to control the scrappiness, so I'm alternating the warm and cool colors. I just had to piece two sections before we left for church this morning.


 I spent the entire afternoon cutting out enough pieces (1425!) for 25 blocks which will make a sweet wall hanging. And, no. I didn't make a dent in my scraps!


I'm ready to sew my way through the big game!

I'll be linking up my scrappy projects here:

http://quiltingismorefunthanhousework.blogspot.com/

17 comments:

Peggyinno said...

Love batiks! Love your block! Gonna be a very striking quilt! Hope you get lots done during the game!

Julierose said...

I have the same scrap problem--using them doesn't lessen them! I have to get cutting. Hugs, Julierose

Rike Busch said...

I think, everyone has to much scraps. But these are very nice solutions !
Greetings, Rike

Happy Room Diana said...

Wow... I'm exhausted just reading your blog.

Issabella The Cat said...

I love your selvedge blocks, you may have just inspired another scrap hoarder to collect selvedges too :D

Debbie said...

wow. You are on a scrappy mission and I love what you are doing with them all!

Carla said...

Hello. My name is Carla and I have a scrap addiction......
Very nice blocks and beautiful scraps. : )

Calicojoan said...

I'm drowning in scraps myself. I think a Wild and Goosey is in line myself. Thanks for the inspiration!

Terri said...

Love your Wild and Goosey, very colorful.
Hugs

Tara Celeste said...

Your challenge blocks are awesome! What a great idea :)

Lara B. said...

Oh My goodness Tina - I love those selvage cabins with the tomato centers - what a great way to use them! And the Wild and Goosey blocks are the best! I saw your link on Oh Scrap! You are doing some very fun looking things with your scraps!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Oh I do love your selvage log cabin blocks, very pretty! The wild & goosey blocks will look very striking together, have fun! Linda

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

So much scrappy goodness going on! I really like the Wild Goose block.

Thanks for sharing on Oh Scrap!

Sarah Goer said...

That's a lot of pieces! I love your Wild & Goosey block. The wall hanging will be lovely!

Sarah said...

I love scraps too. I keep them all. However, I haven't ever taken the time to cut them down to useful sizes. They're just kept together in colour groups. I've felt that I don't get enough time to sew, so I've never wanted to spend the time I do have cutting. The scraps just keep multiplying!

Leslie Lim said...

You have done a great work. Thanks for making this blog. You helped me a lot on my research topic. Keep it up guys!

Say
www.imarksweb.org

Silvia Jacinto said...


There are things in our life that is not eternal thus we stand still and never show weaknesses. This only means that we are strong enough to face everything either it is big or small. Visit my site for more good vibes and inspirational thoughts. Good day!

n8fan.net

www.n8fan.net