Friday, April 18, 2014

Garnet and Gray, Day 2

 Wow, I love this pattern! Just two days of cutting and piecing and I have enough blocks for a lap quilt. I am loving the assortment of reds and grays.


I went to my stash for one more gray and dug deep for the marbled print. It is at least 20 years old! You might be able to pick it out. It is the only one with a yellowish cast. The newer grays are bluer.


I pre-washed all the reds and grays together and this is the only piece that picked up any red dye. One color catcher did a great job, but the second one got trapped in the bottom of the machine. After a few minutes in the sink with some detergent and the second color catcher, the gray print came out clean.


I should be able to sew together the top tomorrow. I'll just need to buy something for the backing. At some point, I should probably decide on an Easter menu and go grocery shopping!

3 comments:

WoolenSails said...

That really came out beautifully. I wish I could work that fast, but babysitting is taking up most of my time and energy;)

Debbie

margaret said...

this has worked really well, re the colour catchers I did not realise that they removed dye that had run into another fabric like your grey one, thought they just worked when washed together, useful to know, thanks

Run 'n Stitch said...

I hadn't thought of washing your reds with the fabrics you are going to us them with-with color catchers. Thank you for the great tip. I really love the way your quilt turned out too. Thank you for sharing.
Kathi