Thursday, May 2, 2013

Love and Hope for Boston

 I've been sewing for Boston today. First up, a flag for "To Boston With Love." This initiative is being lead by the Vancouver Modern Quilt Guild.  The goal is to bring messages of peace and love to Boston. Rhode Island has an anchor and the word hope in the middle of the state flag, so I chose both for my flag.

I paper pieced the wonky letters. I didn't trust myself to free piece them and have them come out the right size, so I drew out the paper piece blocks.


For the back, I used freezer paper stenciling to paint the anchor. I'm not happy that the front shows through, but they asked that no batting be used so the flags can fly free.
 

Click on the button for details, and be aware that the deadline has changed to May 21. The flags will be displayed during Memorial Day weekend.
 
To Boston With Love

Next up is a block for "Quilts For Boston" by the Boston Modern Quilt Guild. I had just signed up for Jacquie Gering's new Craftsy class, so I watched a few lessons and made a mini swirling stars block. The yellow star looks more like a diamond, but I'm OK with it.


Click the button for details:
Quilts for Boston

This is what happens when I can't find the right vase! Beer bottles are the perfect size for a single rose (from Pete's senior night track meet).  And an aperitif glass is perfect for a bunch of stray grape hyacinths, picked out of the lawn before mowing.


Up next, a couple of bird blocks for the Modern Stash Bee.

3 comments:

sophie said...

I love the flag. I am planning to make a few. Thanks for mentioning how the back might see-through because of no batting. I hadn't thought about that.

WoolenSails said...

Wonderful pieces and a wonderful cause. I am working on getting things made for the baby, today it was curtains and I had to change my plans since i didn't have enough of one color.

Debbie

mennikelly said...

Love your quilt block!