Friday, February 11, 2011

Zig Zag Friends

I finished three small quilts this week, and this is my favorite!


For my lecture on Modern Quilting, I wanted to show how nicely all the designers play together.


Lots of girls: Valori Wells, Pamela Mostek, Martha Negley, Pat Bravo and Amy Butler.
And some boys, too: Kaffe Fassett, Joel Dewberry and Philip Jacobs.


I'm really happy with the way the color progression worked out, and I think it would make an awesome Blooming Nine Patch, too. Although, HST Zig Zags are a lot easier to make than BNP.


I had a big piece of this orange solid for the back, but I was wishing it was a little paler. The soft stripe worked pretty well for the binding.


For the quilting, I first quilted in the ditch along the zig zag, then went back and quilted both sides of that line, riding along the edge of the walking foot. The best part of edge to edge quilting is not having to bury any thread tails!

Please visit my friend Karen's blog and her Sew Darn Crafty Party!


Then, be bitten by the modern bug with Megan and her friends!

13 comments:

A.J. Dub. (Amy) said...

It's beautiful! Love the color of the back!

Jan Marie said...

I love those colors. What a fun quilt, how big is it?

Nedra said...

A zig zag quilt is on my to do list. You are right, so many designers play very well together.

beth said...

What a beautiful quilt!!

Alisa said...

It's a beautiful quilt! I like zig zag quilts and have one in my wip pile.

Elizabeth Dackson said...

Aww, I love the zigzag-i-ness! I totally need to try that myself. I love how colorful this quilt is!

Sara @ Sew Sweetness said...

So lovely! The color progression was my favorite part. I am thinking of doing a quilt with some sort of color progression, and this is great inspiration for me. Yours is so awesome, I love it!

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

So gorgeous! Great colors and I adore zig zags. Fantastic job.

CityHouseStudio said...

This is just beautiful. Wow. I love it and it makes me want to make another zig zag quilt!
Michelle

Megan said...

LOVE this quilt! A zig zag quilt is on my to-do list, but I really like how you incorporated multiple designers. Thanks for linking up to {Sew} Modern Monday!

Quilting Stories said...

Great colors for a very cheerful chevron quilt!

Marly said...

Beautiful fabrics in a great design. Your quilting complements the whole perfectly.

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Perfect post to rejuvenate at Archives Archives. I love making chevron from HST too and yours in beautiful. I love the rainbow of patterns you used!