Friday, October 28, 2011

Friday Finish!

My mother's birthday gift is done, 24 hours early! If you've been following along, you already know that she started the Grandmother's Flower Garden blocks about 20 years ago. Only the quilting angels know for sure how long those poor blocks sat untouched in her UFO pile, then mine.


I'm really pleased with how it turned out! I was worried about the maroon fabric running in the wash, but the quilt and the color catchers came out clean.


I didn't do a ton of quilting because it was a tight deadline and I wanted the quilt to stay soft. Mom liked the way I quilted the flowers in Nonna's Garden, so I did that again here. The quilt finished at 50" X 77"- a long lap quilt for a tiny lady!


I had to wait for Pete to get home from school to hold it up for photos. Too much shadow in the first shot.

The second is better, but the railing is in the way. Oh well, that's as good as it's gonna get.


Does every quilt need a name? How about Nonna's Garden 2? Nonna's Garden Maxi?

5 comments:

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

I love it and I'm sure your mum will too - well done for getting it finished so quickly!

Jodi said...

Yaaay, Tina! It looks so pretty! I hope you'll post some pics of her surprised face when she opens it!

Karen said...

How satisfying it must be, and it's lovely... how about 'Timeless Garden'...

Rachel said...

Awesome!! LOVE it! Nonna's Garden Surprise...Garden's of Time...

Denise said...

Hi there-I have 50 grandmothers flower garden "blocks" that I'd like to put on a background. How did you draw your hexagons on your background fabric? I'm having a hard time finding the template size I need and I'm nervous about using a ruler. I'll make waaaaay too many mistakes.
Thanks
Denise