Friday, April 8, 2011

Springtime Dresden

I'm so happy to show you the perfect springtime quilt! This is my Meadowsweet Dresden. I actually finished it a month ago, but I needed to wait for just the right Spring day to post about it.


It is made from a fat quarter collection of Meadowsweet by Sandi Henderson that I bought from the Fat Quarter Shop a year ago. I used a dresden ruler that works great!



I brought it outside for a photo shoot. I tried and tried to find a place to hang it. A tree branch, swing set, neighbor's fence. Nope. It ended up on the ground near a row of daffodils that need a few more days of warm weather to bloom.


I love it so much, I couldn't stop snapping pix! Here you can see the quilting designs I used. I spent the entire weekend of quilt camp machine quilting this baby.


Laying it out on the ground was probably the best choice, since you can't tell how not flat it really is. As it's been hanging, it seems to be straightening out, but it really should be blocked. If I waited to block it and for the daffodils to bloom before showing you, you'd be waiting another month or more!


I will be buying a new camera soon, so I can play with lighting. Even with hazy sunshine today, there was so much light on all that white fabric, when I focused on the daffodils, the quilt got completely washed out.


Focus on the quilt, and the plants go too dark.


Here's the back with a green solid and a row of coins.


I love the quilting on the Dresdens! The swirly fill was labor- and thread- intensive!


And here she is, hanging in my Spring-green kitchen.


Happy Spring!

10 comments:

A.J. Dub. (Amy) said...

That is so beautiful! I think it just became my favorite dresden plate project. Thanks for sharing!

Jan Marie said...

I love that you did it start to finish. It certainly does look like spring. Perfect on your wall. Love it.

Unknown said...

Fantastic finish!! You did a terrific job with the quilting too. I love it and the rick rack a sweet little touch.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love this quilt. Dresden is one of my favorites. Does your ruler have inch measurements so you can make different size pieces? If it does what size did you make here? I want to make some of these blocks but I'm not sure what size to make mine. I've tried before and ended up with huge blocks.

Thanks

Linda
nana947@hotmail.com

Jenniffier said...

Oh now I see what why you like meadowsweet. Looks at all that loveliness in that beautiful quilt. What a great job! BTW your other quilts are lovely too. I am going to start following you and would like if you would follow me too :)

Katherine said...

Wow! Your Meadowsweet Dresden quilt is wonderful, Tina. I could stare at this beauty for hours! I love the scrappy border and binding and think the ric-rac is an inspired addition. Thanks so much for sharing this link with me. Now your quilt has me dreaming of Spring! :o)

Jasmine said...

I love how you quilted the dresdens and how you added the ric rac. Awesome job!

Jackie said...

What a great way to use the ric rack.

Dogwood Lane Rambles said...

I love your happy Dresden quilt and the ric rac adds a wonderful touch. Visiting from Val's Quilting studio

Marcy said...

What a lovely quilt. The ric rac really adds the finishing touch. Great colors.