When we went to Ikea a few weeks ago, we picked up a yard of cool black and white fabric (Saralisa) for Julia's room. At first, we thought we would use it to cover a bulletin board, but I didn't have a big enough piece of foam core, and didn't feel like driving to the hardware store for a large piece of foam insulation.
Then I remembered Brassy Apple's tutorial for fusing fabric directly to the wall. Again, I didn't have quite enough fusible web to complete the project, so Julia and Josh rode their bikes down to our LQS for a couple of yards.
We used Heat & Bond Ultra because the fabric is pretty heavy, almost canvas weight. I tested a small scrap on my bedroom wall to see if it would hold and eventually peel off cleanly. Works like a charm!
(Julia and her able-bodied assistants)
Julia's room is still a work in progress, but we hope to show you the before and after photos soon!