Monday, September 23, 2013

Quilty Weekend

 I had the pleasure of attending three quilt shows in three days! On Friday and Sunday, I went to the Flights and Fantasies show at the New England Quilt Museum. Karen and I went on Friday, then I went back on Sunday with my husband and my mother to pick up my quilt.

I was thrilled that Karen Griska posted about my quilt on the Selvage Blog. It's her fault that I started collecting selvages!


Sue Reich displayed several botanical quilts from her collection of antique quilts. 
 

I love the setting "triangles" in the border of this state flower quilt made in 1933.
 

 This Daisy quilt from c.1930 looks so modern.


My mother was fascinated by the space suits. She doesn't remember seeing them on family vacations to Cape Kennedy and the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum. 
 

Bill was excited to see this replica of a Gee Bee R-1 racer. The original won the 1932 Thompson Trophy, piloted by Jimmy Doolittle. Bill's father grew up near the Granville Brothers' factory, and he and his brother enjoyed watching the test flights.
 

On Saturday, I went show hopping with Karen (Sew Many Ways), Erin (Quilting in RI), and Ellie (no blog). We started out at the Silver City show in Taunton. MA. For a young guild founded in 2007, it was an impressive show! We were happy to meet the maker of the Best in Show quilt, Janet Elia.  
(This photo from my phone is horrible. Please click over to Janet's blog for a better view.)


After lunch at The Best Sandwich Shop, we went to the Blackstone Valley Quilters' show in Cumberland, RI. They had the most wonderful raffle baskets. One was filled with 200 fat quarters! Fabric shopping at Ryco and a quick run through a flea market rounded out our day.

3 comments:

Gina said...

I love selvedges and wish I had more!! Your quilt is amazing!!!

Cathy said...

Sounds like you pieced together a lovely weekend!

Janet Ann said...

Thank you for sharing my Aunt Millie's Garden on your blog! It was so nice to meet you at the show! I love you green salvage edge quilt!