Thursday, July 18, 2013

Fabric Shopping / Sew Every Day 17

Furlough be damned, I needed to buy some fabric! I felt completely justified in buying fabric to complete this star quilt. I am planning to give it away as a wedding gift, after all. That blue/purple (not as bright in person) will be a small inner border, followed by the green/blue leaf print as a wide outer border. The soft neutral print will be the back and the stripey green will be the binding. The white Aurifil thread was an impulse buy. My first spool is almost empty, since I've been piecing with it every day.


Here's an iphone view of my LQS's batik wall.  If you are ever in southern Rhode Island, stop by Folk Art Quilts.


If modern prints are more your style, check out the opposite wall!
 

In these days of tightened budgets, I can no longer afford to be a fabric snob. I picked up this print at JoAnn's (with a 50% off coupon) for the back of Ninnie Niner.
 

This sweet print from Hobby Lobby (40% off) will be the back of another top-in-waiting. And the big chunk of Kona white used another 50% off coupon from JoAnn's.


Sew Every Day 17: I only had time to piece two album blocks. 
 

OK. Time to sew something!

5 comments:

Jodi said...

I don't need any suggestions to "stop by" Folk Art Quilts, Tina, thank you very much! Working down here is very bad for MY budget. I LOVE it there! And Mary and Evie let me sew in the back room for a miniscule fee when I have the time on my lunch break - wonderful! I love your Ninnie Niner top - so pretty! I have yet to visit Hobby Lobby - must put that on my list of places to "stop by" also! Ha!

Cathy said...

I really like the picks for your Star Crazy Plan B. That is the side of the color wheel I tend to gravitate to for myself.

Kelleigh said...

Definitely justified in making a purchase! With all of the sewing that you are doing, by my calculations, you should be almost out of fabric. Go shopping tomorrow too :)

Carla said...

Beautiful fabrics to be sure. That print that will become a backing is gorgeous!

Ann @thequiltingcats said...

Scrumptious Batiks! Thank you! For quilt backs I like to scout Joanns and Hobby Lobby sale sections! $20 for 4 yards is better than $45! I live the Hobby Lobby fabric you picked out!