A few months ago, a friend of mine asked if I could/would assemble an auction quilt for the JDRF gala at the end of April. How could I say no? Several kids drew or colored masks to go with the gala's masquerade theme. I scanned the drawings and printed them on fabric. That was the easy part.
My first layout incorporated the colors of the gala and a harlequin diamond that reminded me of carnival. I struggled with finding a combination of purples and greens that appealed to me. I had almost all the diamonds paper-pieced when I decided I hated the whole thing!
The green and purple were fine for the night of the gala, but the quilt needed to stand on its own after the party was over. Don't worry, I'll put those diamonds to work on the back.
Enter plan B.
I've used a similar layout on kid quilts before and it always works. A rainbow was pulled from my stash. The hourglass blocks pieced up in a snap from white and charcoal solids.
All laid out and ready to assemble. Tomorrow, I'll be on the hunt for the perfect border fabric.
I hope to have the whole thing done by Friday to deliver to JDRF. I'll be putting my freshly acquired rainbow of threads to work in the quilting!
Wish me luck!