Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Mother's Day

 A few months ago, my sister bought this quilt from me as a gift for her sister-in-law. Her mother-in-law loved it so much she wanted to keep it. I suggested that a lap quilt would be a nice Mother's Day gift. So here is a gift for Estelle.


 My sister and I chose a focus fabric via text messages. Then I turned to the stash for an assortment of fresh greens, pinks and reds.
 

I was scrolling though Instagram and saw a pic of the Quatrefoil Quilt from Missouri Star Quilt Company. After piecing a test block, I knew it was the perfect choice.


After doing the quilty math, I realized I would not have enough background fabric to complete the project as intended. The stitch and flip corners were going to waste too much fabric. I devised a way to cut my background triangles to the right size, place them on the square just so, and stitched a 1/4" seam. All that was "wasted" was a corner of the colored square.


I couldn't resist piecing those little triangles into pinwheels.


Those bonus pinwheels are now a couple of mug mats.
 

 The top came together quickly. My go-to loopy quilting took a few hours to complete on Saturday night. Yes, that's how I rock a weekend!


Everything came from my stash except the backing and binding.



For Estelle
59" X 72"
Started April 10, 2016
Completed April 25, 2016
Border: Martha Negley Dahlia
Backing: Martha Negley Crabapple Path

9 comments:

WoolenSails said...

That is a beautiful quilt and a nice way to reuse the fabrics, she will love it.

Debbie

Sue SA said...

Its gorgeous I love the colours and design. And if its as quick to make as it sounds then am even more impressed!

Robby said...

This is really lovely. Beatiful colors and it echos that previous pattern without repeating it. Brilliant.

Ali Honey said...

Very nice indeed. I love the matching mug rugs. She'll love it.

margaret said...

this is a real beauty love the locks abd fabric is wonderful you must be thrilled to its with it

Terri said...

I was fortunate enough to see this in person. Wow! Just gorgeous.

Carla said...

What's not to love about this quilt. The fabric, color, pattern and the quilting are just awesome. I want one too. LOL. And the mug rugs are sew cute.
Lucky Estelle

Anonymous said...

I love your fabrics, where would I find them on Internet?

Liz said...

Beautiful quilts! Love the colours!