Monday, April 4, 2016

Color Challenge

Another mini is complete. This one was made in response to a quilt shop color challenge. 


At the beginning of February, Julia and I visited a quilt shop near Albany, NY. I had been a fan of Amelia's Garden since I met Tara and her mom vending at quilt shows. Next to the register, they had set out a basket of fat eighths with a printout of a design seeds color palette. I'm sure no one is surprised that I chose an orange one! The challenge was to make a mini quilt using as many of the colors in the palette as possible. I already had most of this fabric in my hands, ready to check out!


Before I sat down with EQ7, I scrolled through my Pinterest boards for inspiration. I'm always attracted to kaleidoscopes and periwinkles. My block is like a bordered kaleidoscope. Since I wanted to use all six colors, the background color changes behind the stars. I numbered my blocks and colored them in with crayons so I could keep it all straight. I still had to rip out a couple of pieces.


I usually use paper clips to hold blocks together, but the wonder clips were closer. They work, but I prefer vinyl coated paper clips.
 

To make thinks interesting for me, I used a different free motion quilting design in each color. I definitely need more practice with these lazy 8's.
 
 

  
This was such a fun challenge, I'd like to bring it to my guilds or retreat.


Texture. Oh, yeah!
 

All ready for Julia to take back to the shop next week for judging. Rhode Island peeps, Amelia's Garden will be vending at the NBQA show on April 23-24


Amelia's Color
Started 3/25/16
Completed 4/2/16
20" X 20"

3 comments:

Sandi said...

Tina this is lovely, love the dark purple and orange that frame the blocks and your background soft colours are wonderful choices! A winner to be sure.

I loke how you chose to quilte it. Perfect for Spring! Good luck with the challenge!

Debbie said...

Very beautiful!

LB said...

Colors make a quilt, I really like your choices!