Saturday, August 23, 2014

Seaside Laptop Case

 As Julia started packing for her term abroad, we realized that the laptop case I made for her two years ago was rather worn out. One of our errands yesterday was to pick up some fabric for a new one. She chose this adorable beachy print from Dear Stella. She wants to take a little bit of home with her to Tanzania!

The lining is a Riley Blake medium navy chevron that I had in my stash. I layered the main print with batting and quilted it with parallel wavy lines. (I was corrected. "Straight stitched wavy lines" is an oxymoron.) In retrospect, I wish I had quilted the lining, too. When I was almost done, I decided to add another layer of batting, which was quite a chore.

I used a trick I learned from Kindred Quilters and used basting tape to hold the zipper in place as I stitched.

After I had the first side of the zipper done, I couldn't find the tape. After about 10 minutes of searching high and low, I picked up my pieces and found the tape stuck to the back!

I haven't mastered stitching the junction of the zipper and bag side. This one is better than the first one I made, so maybe the next one will be better still.

All done! About a four hour job, including a lunch break.

I can't believe I forgot to stitch one of my new labels into the lining. I'll have to stitch it in by hand later.

Edit 7pm: There. That's better.


WoolenSails said...

That is really fun with the print. I have a bunch of patterns for cases, need to try one.


margaret said...

very nice case and Julia will be reminded of you every time she uses her lap top whilst in Tanazania