Friday, June 10, 2011

Hearts for Heather

A young member of our quilt guild got married in May, so naturally, we made her a quilt! I asked members to make a 6" heart block, with a red or pink heart on a cream or white background. I pieced the top and back on Monday, quilted it on Tuesday (after running to the LQS for batting!), and bound it on Wednesday, so we could present it to Heather at the meeting on Wednesday night.


To quilt it, I stitched in the ditch then did my loopy swirl in the background of each block. The cornerstones have a quilted heart.

There is a lovely assortment of techniques on display.
Click on the photos to enlarge.

Here we have hand applique, crazy quilting and lace, string piecing, and an embroidered bee (this quilter keeps bees!).


Machine applique, linked hearts, fancy stitches in metallic thread, and log cabin piecing.


More machine applique and text(!), hand applique, another pieced heart with reverse applique, and a Bible verse.


Hand applique on a pieced background, machine applique with variegated thread, clever piecing and reverse applique, and a napping heart.


I was lucky to find the perfect print in my stash for the backing to pull together the pinks and reds and that bit of blue.


Rose decided the husband needed a bow tie! One quilter made an extra block, so I signed that one.


The lovebird motif on the label is from the book Doodle Stitching: The Motif Collection by Aimee Ray. (It is half-price right now on Amazon!) I thought I would embroider it, but I wasn't in the mood for such tiny work. I think it is cute in ink, too.


I meant to show you this photo as a sneak peek on Wednesday. Is it weird that I'm looking at the grass thinking that the mower blades need to be sharpened?


This mock orange shrub is right next to the deck, where I photographed the quilt. The scent is heavenly! I can even smell it from here at the desk as I type!


I'm off to enjoy a rare sunny day with no thunderstorms in the forecast!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tina,

The quilt came out great. Thanks for making this on behalf of our guild. Erin

Anonymous said...

I really like the heart quilt, Tina. Your choice of sashing makes it so nice and lively.
Thanks, Ellie

The Sunflower Patch said...

Beautiful quilt! It is sure to be cherished for years to come:)
Found you through Sew Darn Crafty

Ricki said...

What a treasure! It's beautiful!