Monday, March 9, 2009

More from the Getaway

Our annual quilting getaway, titled the Great Escape, is held at an environmental education center in the middle of the woods. This tree-lined road leading to the site reminds me of the Avenue of the Pines in Saratoga, NY.
It's mud season in New England. The parking lot is usually messy, but this was the worst mud we can remember.Here is the main room where we sew and eat. We leave enough tables free for dining and use them for cutting and laying things out between meals.One of the best things about a retreat is not needing to cook or clean for 48 hours. The food here is always terrific! You can see 2 of my class samples on the wall and Pat's owls on her machine.Since I was teaching on Saturday, I worked on this basket applique when I could. It was great to have Maria there to answer my many applique questions! This is the January block for A Tisket, A Tasket. Now I'm only a month behind! I decided to make vertical, long wall hangings with 3 blocks. I chose bright fabrics for Jan, Feb and March to brighten up the gray winter months.Here is my work station. I always bring my own chair. (Pete broke the back and fixed it with duct tape.) The rolling drawers are a great way to organize my tools and it's easy to roll in from the car. You can barely see the box of Red Sox tissues that Rose gave me with a little album filled with newspaper clippings about Dustin Pedroia. And she's a Yankees fan. Thanks, Rose! (More on Dustin another day.)In action, working on step 3 of Bears in the Farmhouse.I got all 12 of my bears paw blocks done, so I brought them out to meet Pete, the bear. He was carved with a chainsaw at a woodcarver's retreat several years ago.Don't forget to enter the giveaway by leaving a comment on Friday's post.

Ciao,
Tina

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a huge place to have the retreat! Love it!

Nancy said...

What a lovely place!! Where is this center? Looks like you got a lot done.