Wednesday, August 8, 2012

WIP Wednesday

Top Priority:  Double Wedding Ring
 
 Do you remember when I finished this quilt top in November?  My nephew's wedding quilt?  Who got married in March 2011?


 In March (2012), I brought it to our guild getaway and played with flowers.


Finally over the course of the last week, I have prepared all the petals and leaves!  My goal is to have the applique done and borders added by the end of August.  I mean it this time!

Does this ruffly leaf look too much like a mustache?   Mustaches are IN now, right?!


 See the deer leaf?  That one is for my nephew.  I might layer it on top of the other leaf so it will blend in a little.  I just noticed that I cut different leaves for the third flower than I had laid out in March.  I'll need to think about that some more.  

I've been set up in my bedroom!  Lots of natural light, air-conditioner and TV to watch the Olympics.  I used the big ironing board as a table, but added my small board on top.  It's time for a new cover!  Starch makes quite a mess.  I spray some starch in the bowl and use the brush to apply it to the seam allowance a la Erin Russek.  I love her techniques and her designs!  The flowers I used are from various blocks-of-the-month.

 

SWAPS:
I think I have three swaps in progress.  Picture Perfect Polaroids and Siggy Quilt Blocks have been shipped.  I'm not quite sure why I joined the Summer Scrappy Mug Rug swap.  I couldn't resist a quickie?  I'm happy with my secret partner, as we seem to have a lot in common.  She should be easy to stitch for.  And then there's the new Rhode Island Modern Quilt Guild!  I'll finally be able to attend a meeting, and there will be a Christmas/winter mug rug swap.  Yippee!

In other (family) news:
Pete performed at the Newport Jazz Festival!  (That's him standing behind the piano.) He was selected as a percussionist in the Rhode Island All State Jazz Band this year, and they were asked to open the festival!  It was a huge honor and an amazing opportunity for them to play for real jazz fans.   They played a killer set!  Quite a few of the band members, including the 2 drummers, have another year of high school, so we're hoping for a repeat next year!


Julia will be leaving for college in three weeks!  I'm approaching panic mode and she's still in denial.  I've been pinning dorm room ideas and cute things to make for her.  I'd better get on that!

Hop on over to see more WIPs...

6 comments:

Deborah said...

Your quilt is really beautiful. I don't think I could finish one like that in a life time! Sounds like you are very busy with changes happening!!

Sara said...

What a marvelous job on that wedding ring quilt!!!

Lynette said...

Those are lovely flowers - nope, don't look like mustaches to me.

Debbie said...

oh wow those flowers look challenging - you go Tina!! And congrats to son & boohoo about daughter leaving - so great but on the other hand, the pits. I'm still adjusting . . .

Shontelle said...

Your quilt is incredible! And I love those applique flowers - such a beautiful shape.

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

I can't wait to see the flowers on the quilt, they're going to look wonderful! Good luck with the packing, etc. for Julia - term starts early over there!