Monday, August 20, 2012

Modern Mug Mats on Monday

 I was a little focused on mug mats this weekend! The Rhode Island Modern Quilt Guild met on Saturday afternoon, and there was a Christmas/Winter mug mat swap. I had a pile of hexies already cut out, so I pieced some together on Friday night, quilted it up on Saturday morning, and it was ready to swap at the meeting!


I love the striped binding. I used up the very last bit of that fabric. So sad! The polar bears on the back were left over from the tote bags I made for my grand nieces last Christmas.


Ryco ric rac.  Oh yeah!

 It was random drawing and I totally scored by picking this lovely mat made by Kathy.


Since the meeting was held at Ryco, we just had to shop! This pile will become a laptop sleeve for Julia.


And this pile will become throw pillows for her dorm room. We can't leave Ryco without buying more ric rac!



 On Sunday, I started working on a mug mat for the Summer Scrappy Swap. My partner had a couple of spool quilts in her mosaic, so I looked around and found a Carol Doak pattern that appealed to the mini paper-piecer in me. 


I quilted it up in hot pink thread and hated it!  It was supposed to look like the thread was coming off the pink spool and looped around the piece.  Yuck!  I tore it all out!


I'll try again with lighter colors.  First, I need to do something about all the needle holes.  I sprayed it with sizing and it's a little better, but I might need to really saturate the hole thing.  You can see a bit of the backing that I pieced from selveges, another favorite of my partner. 


Sew Modern Monday is on summer break, so visit the Flickr group instead...

3 comments:

Eileen said...

I found your blog today and became a follower. I like your style and ideas.

Debbie said...

Oh I especially like your spool quilt! Good luck with the quilting (again).

Ann @thequiltingcats said...

This year I have learned to rip it out yhru courageous quilters like you! Thamks for continually inspiring me to be brave with my quilting. :)