Saturday, August 6, 2016

Whisper

 A few weeks ago, I decided to make a lap quilt for my sister. She was in the midst of a kitchen renovation. With her open floor plan, that meant new family room furniture, too. I texted her daughter-in-law to get a picture of the new sofa and chair. So sneaky! Anita is a neutral girl. No crazy colors like in my house.


I had a pile of low volume prints still out from the trivet project. I added a few grays and solids and started cutting. In no time, the scrappy trip around the world blocks were done and ready to assemble. Wow, are they fun! 

It was super hot that week, so I needed to carefully move everything from the design floor in the living room to my air conditioned bedroom.


 I knew I wanted to quilt a spiral from the center of the "trip" and go around and around. I put on the walking foot, drew a starting circle and got started. I knew the center would be the toughest part, but I was really struggling moving the quilt along. Guess what? I forgot to re-engage the feed dogs after the free motion class the day before. How embarrassing! It's a little wobbly in the center, but not bad enough to rip out for a quilt that I know will be used and loved and washed often.

 

I tried not to post much of this project to Instagram, because I wanted to keep it a surprise. She did comment on a tight pic of the center quilting that the grays and yellows matched her new chair. Is that so? What a coincidence!

The next lesson I learned was that my needle was too small. I usually use a size 80 with 50 wt thread, but I was all out. I put in a 70 and my thread kept breaking. I was finally good to go after changing to a 90. With the feed dogs engaged!
 

I found the binding in my deep stash. I hope the little sparkle will compliment the mica flecks in her new granite counter tops. The backing should bring together her gray and beige paisley chair and brown leather sofa. Everything came from stash except the backing and batting.
 

Whisper
60" X 72"
Started: July 11, 2016
Top Done July 17, 2016
Quilted: July 23-24, 2016
Bound: July 25, 2016

6 comments:

Ariane said...

Wow! I love it!! Gorgeous!!

Angelikas quilts and knits said...

The quilt looks great :-)

Debbie said...

This is beautiful and I love that it coordinates so well! ;-)

Judy MacLeod said...

Love the quilt and the quilting!

Diane said...

What a wonderful gift for your sister. You are thoughtful and amazing. I love this one too! Lucky Anita!

Luxury Apartments Lady said...

This is such a lovely homemade gift to give someone, I'm sure your sister must have loved it.