Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Random Tuesday

I started sewing again!  I made this string X block today to fill in a hole in my 4x5 swap blocks.  
Sadly, one of our bee mates needed to drop out for health reasons.  Happily, she is feeling much better now.
You can find the original tutorial here at Quiltville.  There is a modern variation here.  For my blocks to finish at 12", I used a 3" pieced strip, plus 1" strips of white, then 5" squares cut on the diagonal for the corner triangles.  That Meadowsweet print still makes me so happy!


Karen Griska recently asked for help reproducing this quilt.  I pieced together my contribution on Sunday before the big football games.  At 6" x 55", it could be backed with a cuddly fleece to make a scarf!  I just happened to have a box of 1.25" strips leftover from my lapel pin-making.  It is the perfect width for their little borders.  There is something to be said for keeping your scraps organized.


We finally got a measurable snow fall!  Quilting rulers are so handy for measuring snow!


My mother-in-law sends us an amaryllis bulb every year.  This is a lovely coral color that was difficult to capture in the photo.  This one will be a double-bloomer!

 

 I just realized that I completely missed my 3rd Blogiversary.  (That is a ridiculous word and I apologize for using it!)  I blame my friend Karen for the oversight.  She started her blog a few days before me.  When she mentions her anniversary, I know mine is soon to follow.  Well, she missed hers, too!  We will need to remedy this soon with a giveaway!

3 comments:

Debbie said...

oh I especially love your string x block - very nice!! And yay - we got measurable snow too!

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

Love the scrappy quilt and x block - I might have to raid my scrap boxes! And congratulations on three years of wonderful blogging!

Kimberlee, The Spunky Diva said...

Love your idea of using the strips as a cuddly scraf. I might have to steal that idea, LOL! I have several yummy, super cuddly scraps that would make great scarfs but I wanted to fancy them up first. I think your idea of fabric strips would be a great idea! Would love to have you come link-up at Finished it Friday! Have a fabulous weekend!
~Kimberlee, The Spunky Diva