Saturday, July 6, 2013

Sew Every Day- 5- Improv

Day 5 was Improvisation Day! It was finally time to try out the slice and insert technique from Jackie Gehring's Craftsy class, Improvisational Piecing, Modern Design.


 I used a palette that I am continually drawn to. Sorry, there are no process pics. I was too busy sweating my butt off. (Every time I hear them mention a heat wave on the news, I get the song stuck in my head for days! Marilyn Monroe's Tropical Heatwave. Not Martha Reeves and the Vandella's Love is Like a Heatwave. You're welcome.)
 

I was really excited to do some matchstick quilting. The parallel lines are about 1/4" apart, and I used yummy white Aurifil thread. The binding is pieced from leftover bits of orange, pink and white. I didn't have much of that particular white solid left, or I would have added a border around the four blocks before binding.


Improv
21.5" square
7/5/13

6 comments:

Cathy said...

Very hot here in PA too! Love the song "Tropical Heatwave". They used an excerpt of it in "White Christmas". Maybe we could watch that movie to cool down!

Your colors look refreshing too - like popsicles!

Mimi said...

I have to say that those colors are scrumptious. Makes me want to try that technique and love the quilting on it, too.

Marlene said...

Love this piece Tina and the quilting so suits it. I love this class but have only managed the stitch and flip triangles thus far as the sewing room is packed away ready to move house in a week.

Debbie said...

oh this is just so awesome! LOVE your palette and looks like you have the technique down, easy peasy. I LOVE IT!!!

Debbie said...

just noticed the binding - perfection!

Ms. C said...

Love this!