Sunday, July 8, 2018

Geese at Julia and Fred's Wedding

This quilt is going home to North Carolina soon so it's time for a blog post. If you follow me on Instagram (if you don't, you really should!) you saw it coming together last year. 



Made for my daughter and her husband, Julia selected Judy Niemeyer's pattern Geese at My Wedding. Julia insisted on a double wedding ring and she loves flying geese, so this was a perfect fit. Oh, but the pattern was written for a table runner, so some recalculating had to be done to make it queen size. Only a crazy mother of the bride would turn this pattern into a queen size quilt!

Let's start at the beginning: fabric selection. (November 2016)


The first ring! (February 2017)


I really had to be organized with this one!


I managed to get two rows assembled for the bridal shower. (March 2017)


Aren't they the cutest? (April 2017)


The top was done at the end of July and machine quilting started in early August. This quilt has it all: walking foot in the ditch, free motion, and ruler work. 


Since this quilt was for my daughter, I went all out and learned how to add a double piping to the binding. I highly recommend tools and classes by Susan Cleveland. (September 2017)


I don't block every quilt, but I always block the important ones. The big ones almost completely cover the area rug in the living room.


Julia came home for the Ninigret Quilters' show to see her finished quilt! (October 2017)



Picked up a couple more ribbons at the Narragansett Bay show. (April 2017)



And now for the detailed beauty shots!





A secret parachute was stitched into one corner for my airborne son-in-law!


Their names and the date are quilted in.





Their puppy had to check it out before it goes home with them!



Geese at Julia and Fred's Wedding
88" X 88"
Started November 2016
Completed September 2017
Total working time: 235 hours
Pieced and Quilted by Tina Craig

8 comments:

Debbie said...

Tina, This is seriously SUCH a beauty. But then you know that. I know it will give Julia and Fred years of pleasure.

Joanie's Trendy Quilts said...

Beautiful quilt! I am sure your daughter will cherish it forever!

Selwyn, The Crafty Engineer said...

Just stunning! Has been from the first ring!

Barb Neiwert said...

What a great gift for your daughter and new son! It's gorgeous and perfect for their home and hearts. (Congrats on those ribbons, too!)

Janet Orr said...

AMAZING quilt! I love everything about it. What a treasure!

Would you happen to know the name of the fabric you used for the inside border? Around the rings. It looks like it would work great for a project I'm working on. Thanks!

Margie said...

Your quilt is absolutely glorious. I just can't find the words to tell you how much I loved seeing it. Almost made me cry.

ctnbee said...

Thanks for such a large knowledge base! I start my adventure with sewing and I take every advice very important. It's nice that you share with us!

iquilts said...

I’m curious as to how you constructed the green border.