Saturday, June 14, 2014

Diamond Party

I just decided to call this little challenge quilt Diamond Party because it was so much fun to make. I really enjoyed the process from start to finish. No stress, just fun!


It all started with fat eighths of these fun prints from Micheal Miller for the MQG challenge. Four of the prints are from the Petal Pinwheels collection. The gray print is Star Jacks from Atomic Tabbys. And the solid is Cotton Couture Coral.


This is one of the first quilts I designed with EQ7. I even drew in the quilting. I almost never plan the quilting when I am designing a quilt. It was fun to plan ahead this time.


Fat eighths are not a lot of fabric to work with, so I was happy to have EQ7 do the math for me to verify I'd have enough fabric. In mid-May, I paper pieced the 2" finished half square triangles and the rows came together quickly.


Then life happened and it had to wait, taped to the hallway wall, until this week. I finished the top on Thursday and pieced the back from a half yard of coordinating green that I purchased plus all the leftovers from the front. I prepared the binding, too. By the way, instead of pinning the rows together, I glue basted to be sure the points matched. It worked like a charm, but was a pain to pop them open when I pressed the seams open.


On Friday, I was ready to quilt with Aurifil 50 wt, white #2024. I quilted in the ditch with a walking foot to stabilize the piece. I wanted concentric squares, but didn't want to deal with all the turning with the walking foot, so I went free motion. Labeling them "wonky" means they don't have to be perfect!


I really like the texture and character of the quilting- front and back.


I couldn't decide which end was up, so I made 2 sleeves for the top and bottom. I used the remaining green to make the sleeves, but it wasn't quite wide enough. I pieced in some of the lighter orange from my stash and matched the seams so they blend in with the pieced back. I had saved the solid coral for the binding, but there wasn't enough to go around, so I added the lighter orange again to fill the gap.


I love this piece hanging in my green and orange powder room/laundry room.


Diamond Party
Started 5/13/14
Completed 6/13/14
Working time: 4 days
Finished size: 24" X 28"

13 comments:

Scrapatches said...

This is wonderful! Thanks for sharing all the lovely planning details. You certainly "rose to the challenge" with this one ... :) Pat

Lynne Tilley said...

Love the design of this quilt. The block pattern, and the quilting are wonderful!! I love it!

sewandsow said...

Your free motion quilting is wonderful!

Stephanie said...

I'm always amazed the many ways to put HSTs together and get something so interesting and different. Love the diamonds. I am EQ7 challenged. I need to play more.

Tiinatei said...

I love your Diamond Party! Colours, design, everything. Thank you for sharing it!

margaret said...

very nice indeed, great fabrics and design and lovely quilting too

Rike B. said...

Dear Tina,
a very nice quilt-pattern. The quilting fits perfectly.
Greetings, Rike

Chase Klop said...

I really love what you did with your challenge fabrics. I'm also working on a quilt for the challenge, but I like yours so much better than what I have done so far!

Gina said...

It's gorgeous. I've never thought of working out my quilting on eq. THat's something I'm going to have to explore xx

Nilya said...

What a cool pattern!

Mary W Quilts said...

I love it. Sew fresh and original. You should make it a pattern! Thanks for the inspiration. Mary in Boston.

Sarah said...

Love your quilting on this one too.

Carla said...

What a neat quilt. Love the colors