Wednesday, May 2, 2012

WIP Wednesday - Piano Keys

 Happy Wednesday!  After a rainy Tuesday, I'm hoping to see some sun today.
On to another WIP Wednesday report...

Resurrected:  I was tidying up the sewing room (I don't actually sew there - it's become primarily a storage area) and came across a growing stack of piano keys (2.5" x 10" rectangles).  I had calculated that I would need 150 to make a border for the Three by Three swap nine patches.  More than 100 were already cut, so as I filed away some fresh fabric, I chopped off a strip.  In no time, I was ready to stitch. 


Sewing them together into borders went fairly quickly.  Monday morning, I figured I'd slap them on and be done.  Not so much.  That's when I became reacquainted with my seam ripper!  I had put one side on backwards. rip rip rip. Then I wasn't happy with the corners.  rip rip rip.

Please ignore the junk on the end tables.  People live here.

I'm mostly happy with it, but it's too small to fit on my bed.  I need at least another 4-5" all the way around.  I could add another row of nine patches and white, but I wish they were inside the piano keys.  rip rip rip?  I think I'll make a bunch of nine patches and see where that takes me.


Back Burner:  I played with all of my 4x5 blocks this week. Yay! Then I piled them up and put them away.  boo. 


Now off you go to see what else is happening in WIPland...

7 comments:

Jessica Kelly said...

Your 4x5 bee blocks are great together! so fun to see one of mine in that great group :0)

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

I love the piano key border on the 9Ps - good luck with the 'how to make it bigger' decision!

Linda Beth said...

That 9-patch quilt is gorgeous! Looks like a lot of work went into it, so it would be a shame to have to backtrack to get the size right. Perhaps trying a repeat of the inside border with the white on either side would work to widen it to the correct size? I'll be curious to see how you move forward with this one!

Tessa @ TheSewingChick said...

You did a great job with the piano keys border - especially the mitered corners! I love it.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Linda - it's gorgeous!

Debbie said...

hoping to face my 4x5 blocks before long too....kind of overwhelming.

Leslie said...

this is such a beautiful border. it sets of the blocks so well