Friday, May 25, 2012

Friday Craft Finish

I have along list of crafty projects to finish in the next month or so, most of them related to the end of the school year and graduation.  I volunteered to make the centerpieces for the high school Jazz Nite on June 2.  It is a fun night out with great music provided by the jazz band and jazz chorus in an intimate club setting.  The food and cash bar are a bonus!

Here's what I came up with...
 

The bowls are melted vinyl record albums.  Pete has been making them for a couple of years, but this was my first attempt.  I bought a stack of old albums at the Salvation Army store for $1 each.  The album goes into a 200 degree oven for 5 minutes to soften.  Set a metal bowl upside down on a cookie sheet, then place an album on top.  Using oven mitts, form the soft vinyl around an empty pot.  Repeat 14 times!


For the musical picks, I punched  G-clefs and notes out of black card stock with my Sizzix die cutter.  I glued two pieces together, sandwiching a thin wire in between.  Put three shapes together, wrap the wire around a wooden barbeque skewer, then wrap with floral tape.  Repeat 14 times!


Next week, I'll solicit some local nurseries for free or discounted plants.  I can't pick up the plants too early because I don't trust myself to keep them alive!  So far, I've spent only $15 for the albums.  I had everything else on hand. 

The original plan was to make 12 centerpieces.  When I started thinking about who would take them home, I realized we have 15 seniors in these two groups.  Make a few more and each senior can have one.  I might make another set of picks with the names of the seniors.  I'll also include business cards from the donating nurseries.

Up next, Pete's Eagle Scout project.  He is hosting a benefit concert tonight for Operation: Support Our Troops.  It will be a fun night!

3 comments:

KellyS said...

Very cute idea! Thanks for sharing!

Debbie said...

Very fun - you are toooo clever!

Debbie said...

Great idea! These will definitely be a hit!