It was finish-it-up week here at Seaside Stitches. First up was a manly quilt for our guild outreach committee. There are a bunch of men and boys moving into local Habitat for Humanity homes soon, so we're trying to be sure we have quilts ready for them all.
Then I picked through three bags of batting scraps and pieced together enough for several small quilts. I couldn't resist quilting up this Finding Nemo baby quilt that Kate L pieced last fall.
I was happily looping and swirling along when the needle suddenly snapped into about 5 pieces. That was scary! I guess that needle was in the machine for far too long.
I was bored and didn't want to baste another quilt, so I made this embossed velvet pillow last night in about an hour. After seeing some embossed velvet on Pinterest, I remembered that I had a couple pieces of velvet leftover from back in the day when I was making origami Christmas ornaments.
It only took about 30 minutes to emboss the whole piece. I added a vintage 18" zipper to the bottom and stitched up the sides. The basting tape worked like a charm to hold the zipper to the slippery velvet. The worst part of the process was finding enough stuffing. I found three bags of fiber fill that were nearly empty! I supplemented with batting scraps, so it's pretty lumpy. That's OK since it is only decorative.
Today, I added a label to the schnitzel and boo mini quilt, so it is ready to ship with a pile of goodies.
Up next, another boy quilt waiting to be pin basted.